M.I.A Biography & Wallpapers

M.I.A Wallpapers
M.I.A Wallpapers
Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam (Tamil: மாதங்கி 'மாயா' அருள்பிரகாசம்) (born 17 July 1977)better known by her stage name M.I.A., is an Academy Award and Grammy Award nominated British songwriter, record producer, vocalist and artist.

An accomplished visual artist by 2002, she came to prominence in early 2004 through file-sharing of her singles "Galang" and "Sunshowers" on the Internet. She released her Mercury Prize-nominated debut album Arular in 2005. Her second album, Kala, was released in 2007 and gained her mainstream chart success and a Grammy Award nomination for Record of the Year in the US with her single "Paper Planes" (2008).

Her compositions have been noted to encompass various genres, often with political lyricism and artwork. M.I.A. has described her music style as being "other." In addition to her work as a graphic designer, providing artwork and photography for releases and as a director of music videos, she has also experimented with documentary film and in 2008 released a collection of her fashion designs. M.I.A. is the founder of the record label N.E.E.T..

M.I.A Wallpapers

Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam was born in Hounslow, London, the daughter of Kala and Arul Pragasam. Her family is of Tamil descent. When she was six months of age, her family moved back to their native Sri Lanka. Motivated by his wish to support the Tamil militancy on the island, her father became a political activist, adopting the name Arular, and was a founding member of The Eelam Revolutionary Organisation of Students (EROS), a political Tamil group that worked to establish an independent Tamil Eelam. Her alias, M.I.A., stands for both Missing in Acton and Missing in Action.

Due to the conflict, the first years of her life were marked by displacement. Contact with her father was strictly limited, as he was in hiding from the Sri Lanka Army. As the civil war escalated, it became unsafe for the family to stay in Sri Lanka, so they relocated to Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, moving into a derelict house, with sporadic visits from her father. Later resettling in Jaffna, the conflict deteriorated further, and the family once again tried to flee the island. Her school was destroyed in a government raid. Eventually she, her two siblings and mother Kala moved back to London where they were housed as refugees. It was in the late '80s, on a council estate in Mitcham (South London), that Arulpragasam began to learn English. Arulpragasam speaks English and the Tamil language fluently. Arulpragasam has an older sister, Kali Arulpragasam, and a younger brother, Sugu.

Arulpragasam graduated from London's Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, with a degree in fine art, film and video. She currently lives in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York in the US and is engaged to Benjamin Brewer, singer and guitarist for the band The Exit and a member of the Bronfman family. They are currently expecting their first child together.

M.I.A Wallpapers

M.I.A Wallpapers

M.I.A Wallpapers

M.I.A Wallpapers

M.I.A Wallpapers

M.I.A Wallpapers

M.I.A Wallpapers

M.I.A Wallpapers

M.I.A Wallpapers

M.I.A Wallpapers
M.I.A Wallpapers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Visitor,
Please feel free to give your comment. Which picture is the best?
Thanks for your comment.